Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/2/11 - throws

throws

30# wfd
  • x10 one turn drills, best of 60'
  • x10 standing throws, best of 46'
  • x5 one turn drills, best of 62'
  • x15 full throws, best of 66' 
Threw uphill at lunch again. 40 throws with the lwfd to drill in some technique and work on fixing some little things. Gained a bit of knowledge out of it. Started off with 10 one turns. Felt a good drive but the release just wasn't consistent. One throw I would have a great finish, the next 2-3 were off. So I wanted to add in some standing throws to simulate the delivery/finish portion. I staggered my feet, opened my hips and drove forward and up onto the left leg as I pushed the weight out. Akward at first, it felt pretty good by the end. And I could tell it carried over to the next set of one turns. Definitely felt a bit smoother and easier to get up on the left, but I still wasn't getting that big push out of the left. Something to keep working on. I had only planned to do 10 full throws, but the first 5-7 were terrible. I was starting my spin early, sprinting late, sprinting 6-8" beyond the trig, etc. Just wasn't clicking and it was getting frustrating. I'm not sure why all of a sudden my sprint was so much longer. I thought about it for a while then played with my cast a little bit. Recently I had gotten away from the Matt Sandford type of cast, pushing the hips around to the right then waiting for the weight to get to 12:00 before beginning my spin. I'm not sure why I got away from it but I went back to it and everything seemed to line up better and I quit going over the trig. From there I just needed to make sure my sprint phase wasn't late and I was driving straight. This was much easier with the different cast, so long as I got into position very quickly. Towards the last 4-5 throws I was really putting a lot of weight on my left foot for the sprint phase and it was eye opening how much additional speed you get by doing so. As soon as the weight hit the position in the back of the trig, I was already shooting forward and then I would explode off my left, get into position after the turn and try to simulate the same thing. As the weight was coming around into position after the 2nd turn for the finish I was already driving forward getting more weight onto my left, then exploded up onto it, blocking my right hip and getting a strong strong pull. Considering the best I've ever thrown this particular weight at the field I train at at lunch was 69', I was happy with the 66' which had about 80% behind it. I'm tired, I'm sore, I'm overtrained. I'm ready to relax, eat lots of food, take a couple ice baths, foam roll the shit out of my body and load up on vitamins and BCAAs so that I come into Tucson strong.

 macros- I don't know or care right now, I'll start tracking again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment