Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5/12/12 - Prescott Highland Games

Prescott Highland Games

24.5# BS- 36+ (2nd)
16# OS- 49+, 51'0'5" on extras PR (1st)
HWD- 39+ (1st)
LWD- 78+, 81'5 on extras PR (1st)
HH- 101'10" PR, 104'1" on extras PR (1st)
LH- 119+ (2nd)
Caber- 11:30 (18', 100#) (2nd)
WOB- 15 standing (tied for 2nd)

Overall = 1st w/ 12.5pts

BS was awful. I hate that stone and anybody that's ever thrown in AZ does to. Need to get a new stone, I'll be working with the AD to make this happen. Went 37+ with it last year, so this should've gone nearly 40, just couldn't get a hold of it.

OS was good. I was a bit nervous about debuting my full spin, especially considering all of the issues I've had with my groin (which, I might add, I haven't had in over a month now). First throw I under-rotated and ended up walking out of the box. Second dropped at 47', third dropped at 49'. Took extras and my first extra was a sweet pr out at 51'. At this point I just wanted to make my left foot faster so I could get a better wrap and more build up. Lost my balance on the delivery and fell over on my 2nd extra. On my 3rd extra I got my left around so fast I just didn't know what to do. Need more practice, more reps.

HWD was a shitshow. 39+ is good, but I had a huge throw lingering in me. First issue I had was the bobby dodd handle was BRAND NEW. Not a lick of leftover tacky or anything on it. I'm not typically one to complain, but this thing was slick and very tough to hold onto, even with a hook grip. Moving on, I just wasn't able to stay in the back of the box after my first turn. I was driving hard forward hard. Need to work on this and fix it. I have an idea as to what the problem is: when I cast it, it's casting forward which is pulling me forward. I need to either canter back harder or change the direction of the cast. Tough to explain but I think you'll see what I mean in the video.

LWD was also a shitshow, with the exception of one throw, a sweet PR at 81'5". Need to work on this a lot. I am rotating around the weight and this just isn't working. My finish is off, the sprint is off. The one throw that it all came together on was my 81' throw, in which I just focused on driving it FORWARD.

HH was probably my highlight of the day. With the exception of keeping that left arm straight, they look pretty flawless to me. Right knee is driving, Getting long and great extension, but I'm pulling in just a tad during extension and it's costing me 3-4" which translates to alot on the field. Dropped 4 out over 100' with the best of 104'1". Couldn't be happier, previous PR was 99'10.

LH was not great. If I was doing anything wrong on heavy, it echoed profusely on light. Was pulling in even more for some reason and just wasn't getting it moving fast. Heavy took a lot of juice out of me and I felt it here. I need to learn when to call it on extras.

Caber afterwards then WOB. WOB was terrible. Everybody was drained and exhausted and just wanted this to be over with. I took an easy pull at 15 and made it. Then up to 16. 2/3 pulls were early and out in front, not that they even had the height. Another was timed right but just not enough juice and tapped the bar.

Overall I'm happy. A games with a PR is good, let alone 3 PRs. Still much work to be done. Was still pretty sick going into the games and pulled out some clutch throws when I needed to. I've got a strongman next weekend then a sweet nearly 10 week break before the Flagstaff games July 21st. Time to get lean, fast and explosive.

Thanks to my sponsor Stewart and Torgerson Injury Law (http://www.1800ourlawyer.com/) for helping me out with everything they do. Nobody wants to get into an auto accident, but if you are unfortunate enough to, give them a shout. Professionalism, empathy and integrity are key qualities required to a run great business of thise genre, and Tod and Bethany possess them both. Thanks to sport kilt for keeping me looking good, though I wish they had my family's tartan.. haha. Thanks to Rich Wells who took over the AD spot last minute. He ran a good games and looks like he's up to 3 out of the 4 games in AZ now. Taking over buddy!! Thanks to my wife for her support and confidence. Thanks to my teammate Adam Brezina for pushing me to hit some PRs and he hit some of his own. Thanks to the other A class guy Brandon Hall for pushing me which resulted in some big tosses out of both of us. Huge things to come of this guy soon. Now it's time to get back to work so I don't get trampled in Flag. There's this B class guy that dropped a 121' light hammer and fouled a 49' standing ostone. FML I need to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment