Thursday, December 20, 2012

12/20/12 - benchmark back squat & hammers

Benchmark week

Training#1 @ 430a

Back squat up to 545x1, miss 565
Ring dips 6 sets 4
Hang power cleans up to 225x3

545 back squat felt good, tough but good. I didn't know if 565 was in the tank or not but I went for it anyway. I got about 4" out of the hole and dumped it as I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere and didn't want to risk an injury trying to grind out a no brainer. 20# increase from last squat max is respectable, but not where I really wanted to be. I'll take it though, just push myself harder on the next block. Really excited to deload next week as I'm feeling pretty beat up. Dips felt solid, definitely need to get used to this. I've had some bicep/shoulder/pec issues this year and I think that is from the lack of stability excercises. Ring dips really hit some stabilizers that nothing else does so I've decided to do those instead of regular dips. I would hit a triple real fast, then on the 4th rep do a 5 count over 4 different positions during the descent, then hold the top position for 10 seconds before getting off the rings. Triceps and pecs are screaming, I like it. Power cleans felt good. Getting a better, smoother bump. Moved my hands out about 1.5" and am getting a good 2nd pull right at my pelvic bone. Focus next cycle will be power snatches and clean pulls on squat day.


Training#2 @ 715a

16# hammer
*winds x4
*full x24-28, best of 130'

41 degrees out this morning, makes it tough to loosen up. Couple that with the heavy squats and overall grueling week in the gym and I'm pretty stiff. For the first 6-8 I focused on getting the hammer out to 110ft as effortlessly as possible. Just hitting positions and so forth. Next 6 I focused on getting 120ft as easily as possible. Sped up the 3rd wind and was focusing on a good finish. Timing was off. These were going 115-125ish, but consistent here. The last 10-12 were full bore with focus on timing and a big finish. Took a few out at 118 and that was frustrating as the timing was WAY off on the finish (late). After getting back in my head I was hitting it right and was 125-128 for a lot of throws. Hit 130 on the last throw of the day. I wanted 130 earlier so I could take a couple more, but ran out of time and had to get to work. Winter solstice starts tomorrow (as well as the end of the world) so it'll start getting light out sooner. Wasn't able to throw yesterday once again because of the rain so was happy I got to throw today. Haven't touched a hammer since Last thursday and still went 130 today. Focus on hammer was to catch it very high on the 3rd wind, push the hammer off to my right as I'm sinking my hips, then drag the hammer through its low point turning into the finish to lift the hammer. Lots more reps needed, but it's coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment