Friday, December 21, 2012

12/21/12 - end of the world hammers

Training @ 715a

16# hammer
*winds x 5
*full x 35-40, best of 119

Spent some extra time on hammers today. Was originally just going to do a few then move onto braemar and wfd. Kind of bummed I didn't do that but I'm satisfied with todays hammer session. Original plan was to go 4 reps at 110, 4 reps at 120 then kill it. Well I went 4 at 110, then gassed it up and couldn't break 118. Positions fell apart and kept missing the finish very late which led into a 8-10 rep streak of terrible. Needless to say, I got frustrated and this kept me throwing hammers (instead of stepping away like I probably should have). I took a step back for a minute and thought about what was going on. I knew that everything was flat and I just wasn't getting a pop for the finish. I've also noticed that my big throws end up kind of flat even when I do hit the timing on the finish, there's just no pop/lift. So I slowed WAAAAY down. Just focused on relaxing, getting long and getting a higher angle on my orbit. It started coming together again but I was already pretty fatigued from this training week. Took about 15-20 throws very easily working on setting my orbit angle on my first wind. I found that if my orbit angle was good, my timing on the finish ended up being good. The flatter the orbit, the later I'd finish. Possibly because the higher angle let me stay off to my right more whereas the flatter orbit made me drift left? hmm, dunno for sure. Hit the gas on the last 4-5 throws and still couldn't get to 120, just nothing in the tank. Out of all the throws at least 25 of them were 110+. Solid ending for the week.

So it's now 5 hours later and it hurts to breathe. My mid section is incredibly sore and stiff. I'm pretty tired and beat up. Time to eat lots, sleep lots and only think about training. Hoping to throw wednesday and friday next week, but will play it by ear. Focus changes to stones after this deload. Thinking wednesday I'll throw braemar, wfd and hammer then stones and wfd on friday.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment