Monday, March 4, 2013

3/2/13 - AZ Wildcat Strongman Challenge

skipped training 3/1 as I was feeling pretty beat up and knew the strongman was going to require some energy.. Instead went to Jack in the Box and downed some ultimate cheeseburgers and tacos. Solid recovery meal. Firehouse subs for dinner. Nom nom nom..


onto the writeup for the Strongman challenge:


last man standing 12" log press- hit 300 pretty easy then missed 320 at lockout. The clean wasn't bad at all. I don't think I took a big enough breath before dipping down for my leg drive. It stopped about 2" above my head. I brought it back down and went for it again but my elbows had slipped down and I knew it was over. I think I tied for 5th in this event. Winner hit 340.

620 yoke / 250 farmers x50 ft medley - pass. Was good for 15th place in this event, lol.

32# crucifix hold - 47 seconds. I think I was 6th or 7th here. Very inconsistent judging. Lots of guys with bent arms. Hands above eye level, chains touching the floor, etc. Pretty annoying.

frame car deadlift (chevy cavalier at highest fulcrum point) - 21 reps. I think this was good for 8th? ugh. While I was starting to burn out, muscular endurance wasn't a big issue here. My respiratory endurance is shot. After 15 reps I was so gassed. Squeezed out another 5 then with 3 seconds left pulled one final rep. The weight wasn't really that heavy. Winner took 40 reps, then a couple guys at 36 reps and lots in the high 20s. IMO this is too much. This is a strongman, why are we doing this for 40 reps? Put a suburban on the frame next time. I'm not saying this thinking I would win. I'm saying this because 40 reps in a strongman is absurd.

110# bigg dogg strongg monster db press - 8 reps. I give mad props to the guys that control it on the descent and then just tap one edge off the floor before picking it back up. After about the 3rd rep I found the "sweet spot" on my shoulder and the reps got much easier to get leg drive and drop under. This is the 2nd time ever touching a monster db so it still feels very unnatural to me. I think this was good for 7th or 8th. Big winner went 15 reps with it. Lots in the 9-10 rep range.


OVERALL - 10th out of 15. Meh, I'm fine with that. I placed in the middle third while passing an event. Had a lot of fun and hung out with a lot of friends. No injuries and nothing to make my current injuries worse. I think skipping the yoke was a good idea as my knee is still tender (which is weird btw. It feels very stable now, but its just a little tender at certain times when I put weight on it). Looking forward to the next one. I've said this before and I'll say this again, I really need to dedicate some training time to one of these sometime and see how I fare.





No comments:

Post a Comment