Sunday, October 2, 2011

10/1/11 - throws

throws

23.5# braemar
  • x5 step over drills, best of 37'
  • x5 full, best of 38'5" -PR
15# open x ~6-8 south african, best of 46'
42# wfd
  • x5 one turn, best of 53'
  • x3 two turn, ? distance
28# wfd x6-8, best of 79'8, 4 throws over 79'
20# hammer x3, best of 108'
22# hammer x2, best of 99'10" -PR
16# hammer x4, best of 114'3"

Threw with Andrew Hobson and Ryan Seckman. Always a priveledge to train with them. Their knowledge of throws is what has projected me to where I am today. Great times as well. A couple quotes from yesterday: "be better", "scooptastic" and "scooppressive".

Onto the throws breakdown. Lots of things learned:

Braemar- don't put so much weight on my right foot. Leaning back farther means I have to wait longer to open up and I'm losing distance. Need to keep more weigth on my left that way I can activate it earler to help push the hips through. I was hitting mid 37's and by changing this one thing (on my last throw) I nailed 38'5" for a sweet PR.
Open- stop rushing it. Nice and slow out of the back and "gracefully" spin. Allow the right to pivot and the hip to pop before pushing through. Patience is what I need, lots of it. As I come around the turn, plant that left and focus on pushing the stone high.

Weights- my orbit is off and I'm scooping. My single turns seem to be alright, but for some reason, I'm rotating my hand up toward the trig and scooping. We didn't figure this out until about the 7th or so throw and I was pretty dead. I focused on keeping my hand rotated down the entire time on my last throw. That fixed the orbit and even with a super late pull due to fatigue, still went 79+. Looking forward to drilling this a bit more so I don't have to think about it as much.

Hammers- need to focus on getting long through the 3rd and 4th wind, not just the 4th wind. Also need to get comfortable turning on the speed. Need to get this ball movign super fast if I want it to go far. Threw a couple with the training hammer then grabbed the heavy hammer which felt infintiely heavier. My 2nd toss with the heavy hammer was a badass pr, so I can't complain. Afterwards went over to light and dropped one out there at 114' but was just too tired to duplicate it.

Great training session. Vid is here:


cals = ?, food pic is here:
awesome pic of my son in weightlifting shoes is here:

No comments:

Post a Comment