Monday, October 31, 2011

10/30/11 - throws

throws

23.5# stone
  • x8 step over drills, best of 35'
  • x5 full standing, best of 35'
16# stone
  • x15 south african, best of 44'
53# wfd
  • x10-12 one turn, best of 35'
  • x8-10 two turn, best of 36'
30# wfd x10-12, best of 68'

not a terrible session, but not great either. From the very beginning I could feel the effects of the prior day's poor nutrition. Whenever I don't watch calories I end up eating significantly less protein. For some reason, my calories were severly restricted on saturday as well, this definitely carried over. Everything felt heavier, despite having 2 days rest. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not paying attention to my calories better on saturday, oh well, moving on. Technique felt dialed in on both the stones. Was getting up onto my lef and a good block on the braemar tosses. For the south african I was getting a good wrap and a tight coil. Was opening up early on a lot of them, still many more drills to do.

The focus of the day was weights. Originally I set out to do everything except caber. WFD took over because this is where I need the most work right now. After lots of line drills and lots of one turns, I finally had a good straight drive again. The next big thing to work on was the finish. I seem to be pulling the weight around me and leaning back to counter balance it, but this isn't right. I was getting really frustratet with the heavy weight and moved to the light weight at this point. After about 7-8 tosses I was getting up on my left so much that it was pushing my right hip all the way through and I was stepping over. Bingo. Worked this for another 4-5 throws and despite little drive from 1 to 2 was still getting some decent throws. Decided to go back to heavy and dropped another 3-4 in the 35-36' range.. after about 2.5 hours of training, I was pleased with this.

Didn't even track calories the rest of the day, just ate like a pig. 1 gallon of milk, a pound or so of pot roast with carrots and potatoes. Some pepperoni and cheese sandwiches. It was good and I feel energized today. This is the week leading up to the Tucson games, typically I would take it easy but I need to get more reps in with the weights, plus I need to get at least one session in with the hammers, wob and sheaf. I don't compete until sunday so here is the plan:

monday = weights + hammer @ lunch, wob + sheaf after work
tuesday = weights + stones @ lunch, speed work with weights & PF after work
wednesday = weights + hammer + sheaf

deload the rest of the week, ice bath wednesday and friday night. stretch/foam roll every night, 3500-4000 calories/day. 20g BCAA/day starting wednesday to assist with recovery, large omelette pre-comp + some caffeine since I've got to get up at 430a to make the drive sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment