Sunday, July 17, 2011

7/16/11 - Flagstaff games

2011 Flagstaff Highland Games- 1st place overall in A group
  • 24.5# braemar - 1st - 34'10
  • 16# open - 1st - 46+
  • HWFD - 1st - 36+
  • LWFD - 1st - 79+
  • WOB - 2nd @ 15'
  • HH - 2nd - 87+
  • LH - 2nd - 108+
  • Caber - 3rd - 11:00 
Very fun games. Thanks to Erin Huzingh for setting up a great games with the help of Brent Abbott. Always a good time meeting up with fellow throwers and meeting new ones.

a few things to work on:

need to push that right knee in just before driving up on both braemar and open, also need to work on wrapping my body more on the open..

weights went great actually.. need to remember to stay loose. side fouled a huge WFD throw and wasn't able to recover from it.. thats what you get for not hitting hwfd in a month. was able to stay loose and hit points well on lwfd and had a couple huge throws. so close to 80' I can taste it. Every time I got an insane drive from 1 to 2, I didn't sink and lift.. the couple times I did sink and lift, my drive wasn't quite as hard. I need more reps to get more comfortable... regardless, very happy with lwfd.. first time hitting 78 and 79' on flat ground.


16' wob is so close, i'm hitting the bar nearly every time.. I damn near had it once but didn't get behind it, I need to step up the wob training, something like 5 throws @ 15' every other day.. just repetition repetition repetition..

hammers went ok considering no blades combined with my recent hammer issues. they are coming along, although, I'm blowing past my low point on my release.. pulling way too late.. going to work on starting with the hammer at an angle behind me to try to remind me to really turn to my right and reach up to catch it.

caber went well.. i haven't touched a caber since the albuquerque games and every pick went very well. Had no issues with balance or drive. Our qualifier was an easy 18' 80# caber. 3 of us decided to braemar it for fun. I planted my feet, picked it, allowd it to come off my shoulder a little and pulled, nailed an easy 11:30 or so. Almost didn't count because I didn't take any steps at all. I littlerally picked and pulled form without budging my feet. Because it was a qual caber he gave it to me, lol.. Afterwards we went to the 18' 100# stick which really isn't a touch stick. I let the first one get away from me and didn't turn it, second was 11:00, and on the third I didn't get into a double post before pulling, lol.. I almost turned it with a one legged pull.. after that we went to a beastly 19' 130# log and this thing was brutal. Its center of gravity was very low and there was next to no taper. My best pull was 55 degrees. It was very hard to get a good drive, felt like it was going to crack my collar bone, lol. Eveytime I got my feet planted like I needed for a good pull, it was already off my shoulder and I was late. Adam had a really good pull and nailed 65 degrees.. Tough stick f-sho.

Thanks go out to my sponsor Stewart & Torgerson for travel & entry into the games. Tod Stewart is a good guy and knows his stuff. If you're ever injured in a car accident and need some help, check out http://www.1800ourlawyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment