Tuesday, February 5, 2013

2/5/13 - me deadlift/de ohp & wfd

Training#1 @ 5a

Strict OHP up to 275x1, miss 295, 245x4
Deadlift off 6" blocks up to 655x1, 565x5

Yates rows


Probably should have done some ab work too but whatevs. Workout too about 2 1/2 hours in my garage just dicking around taking way too long between sets, haha. 275 felt strong so I wanted to hit a PR at 290 but realized I don't have two 2.5lb plates at home (I keep one at work for prehab type stuff). So I said F it and went big with 295. I think I got it to eye level. There wasn't a chance. Oh well. It's only the 3rd or 4th time I've done strict OHPs in the last 4 months so it'll start coming along now that I do them more often. Workout called for DE ohp but I wanted to get something heavy in there. The 655 is a PR from 6" blocks, previous best is 635. Pulling from 4" blocks and 6" blocks are harder than pulling off the floor (for me at least). Very happy with this. Hoping to pull 655+ from 4" blocks next heavy session then drop to a 2" deficit before finally pulling from the floor again. Also pulled everything beltless today. I need to start hammering my lower back again. When I was pulling near 7 last year I didn't put a belt on until I got to the low 6s and I've gotten away from that. Yates rows felt great, 335 for sets of 8, upper back feeling good.

Side note: my right knee is being a dickhead. About 2 months ago it started popping while squatting, as I was coming out of the hole. A deep sounding pop, but no pain whatsoever. I've always been told that if it pops, but there is no pain, there's nothing to worry about so I never thought anything of it. After speed front squats yesterday it stopped popping and just got really stiff and achy. Today, it's still stiff and achy and now it feels like I have no inside/medial knee support. It doesn't hurt at all, just feels extremely loose and stiff. No tenderness, no swelling, nothing. Also feels like I'm much more susceptible to hyperextension. Did a bunch of bw squats, lunges, step ups, etc this morning and no pain at all. Not even a tiny bit. When I push my knee in, it just feels like there isn't anything "stopping" it from pulling apart. I'm not sure if any of that makes sense or not. Maybe I'm just being dramatic over something that feels off. A buddy of mine suggested that the popping was a tendon that was "off" it's groove and now it's back in the correct groove but it's looser from being stretched out for the last couple months and just needs to tighten back up. Any thoughts on this from guys with knee injuries? Duncan, Craig, Shawn? Any insight would help. Thanks fellas.


Training#2 @ 1215P

49# wfd
*one turn x8, best of 44
*full x8, best of 49

56# wfd x6, best of 43

28# wfd x6, best of 80

Really feeling the fatigue from yesterdays squats and this mornings pulls. Just didn't have that big pop. Watching video, everything was on point. Positions looked good, applying force at the right times, just wasn't that umph behind it. Not a bad training session, but not a great one either. Was really hoping to get a couple out past 45 with the 56 but just too tired. Took about 3 throws to get used to the 56 after throwing the 49 so much recently. Not bad, just took getting used to. Def can't "walk through" the throw with the lighter stuff, haha. Need to get it moving sooner. I tend to "lay off" the sprint with the 49 and the 28 so that I can into a better position and nail the finish but with the 56 it's moving too slow, haha. Sped up the sprint, hit the position and dropped about 5 out past 40, with 3 of the 5 at 42-43ft. Hammers tomorrow. Knee felt good throwing, wore my EFS knee sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment