Tuesday, April 30, 2013

4/27/13 - Sacramento Games

Sacramento Valley Games

24ish# bstone - 38+ - 3rd
16# ostone - 48+ - 2nd
56# wfd - 42+ - 1st
28# wfd - 87+ - 1st
22# hammer - 108+ 1st
16# hammer - 133+ 1st
56# wob - 000000 - 5th
caber (20'/125#) - 70deg - tie for 1st

overall = 1st

Braemar was a heavy stone. 23 or 24lbs. Nicely shaped, just wasn't getting a good push on it. Also was letting my chest drop which is an easy fix. Just need to be mindful. Was looking for a big ostone here but nobody had one. It was an ugly rock. Tried to get a really good right side push on it but just wasn't getting through. Rushing the finish as usual.

Wfd felt ok. Thought I had a couple really big ones but kept hitting an invisible wall at 42ft. Also drifting forward on the cast and feeling cramped at the finish. I think it has to do with the cast angle and not pivoting my left foot enough before turning. Going to play with this this week and get it fixed. Very little left to dial in on this before some big throws start surfacing. Lwd felt pretty good. First toss was only 77ft and really surprised me. Felt like it was going to go 81-83ish but just didn't have the juice on it I suppose. Cranked it up on the next one and went 83. Finished off with 87'3" on my last extra for a sweet pr.

Hammers were meh. Was really looking for some big numbers here, but knowing my finish is still sketchy it was a toss up. Had a couple good tosses before started really trying to get after it and ended up bombing my extras pretty sadly. Speaking with John Odden he told me to just let the hammer fly. I do a great job at pushing the hammer through the right side and in front of me but for the finish I pull so hard it knocks it out of orbit. He said to just continue pushing the hammer all the away around into the release. Something to work on here.

Wob was a shit-show. Kept leaving it out in front and no-heighted at 14ft. Embarrassing. Just went 3/3 @ 16 3 days ago. Need to work on pulling back as well as up, I've got to get this over the bar. No excuses here.

Caber was huge. Had a decent taper on it and it was turnable but man it was heavy. Steve says it was 125# but it sure felt closer to 140 or so. Regardless, nobody turned it and I tied with Greg Bell for 1st at 70 degrees.

Overall had a great time. Steve did an awesome job judging and Mike Qutermous did a great job announcing. Everything ran smoothly and I had a great time. Threw with Jon O'neil, Rusty Price, Greg Bell and John Odden and as always had a blast with them. Even talked some smack to Greg for coming in at 13' which then backfired hardcore when I missed at 14, haha.

Big thanks to my wife for taking care of the kids while I was out of town. Thanks to my buddy and fellow thrower Jess Thomas for putting me up for the games. Thanks to Sportkilt for keeping me sexy and also to Tod Stewart of Stewart & Torgerson Injury Law (1800ourlawyer.com) for helping me with travel and support.




No comments:

Post a Comment