Tuesday, July 2, 2013

7/2/13 - overhead/bench & stones

Training#1 @ 415a

Push press up to 325x1x3
Strict ohp 225x5, 235x5x2
Bench up to 335x1x3
CGBP 255x5x3
Ring dips 3x5
Band pushdowns 3x20

Great sesh. Initially wasn't going to go for the 325 but 275 felt like nothing so I went anyways. They weren't easy but they weren't awful either. Going to add 5lbs/week until I stall out. I'm guessing I'll be resetting in 2-3 weeks but the extra heavy stuff will be nice. Strict ohp felt great. Bench sucks, dips were meh. lol.

Training#2 @ 1215p

15.5# stone
*stand x6-8, best 45, avg 43
*full spin x8-10, unk distances

Stands feel pretty good. Distances were meh but as stated above my legs are destroyed. Just looking for positions here. Really trying to drive my right knee in and down and load my left for a strong block. Getting better at this but not where it needs to be. Also focusing holding my upper body from drifting forward and twisting around with my chest to the sky for a higher release. These are feeling much better. This is also carrying over to my ostone. I'm starting to be able to feel the position that I need to get into. Another thing that is helping is I'm thinking about the stone following a J path (facing toward the trig). I'm trying to think about PUSHING the stone through a J path. Poor articulation? Probably, but it's working for me. I'm thinking about pushing the stone from the very beginning of the movement vs just pushing when I hit my block.

Spins were ok. Pretty hot out so throwing stone with a sweaty neck is frustrating. I wipe down and I'm soaked again by the time I get setup. On top of that my knees are extremely stiff from last couple days. Need to break out the roller tonight and see if I can loosen things up. I feel confident coming out of the back but not really getting as linear as I need to. Leaving about a foot in the box. Going to sink down and load my left a little harder. Trying to keep my right on the ground as long as possible to create a good stretch and slingshot forward. The two biggest things I'm working on right now is:

1) holding my focal point on the horizon. As soon as my right leg touches down, it seems that I automatically look back. I need to hold that focal point longer so I can wrap up. That's going to keep my shoulders back and let me push my hips through.
2) Stopping my upper body linear movement at the front. I need to stop my torso from drifting forward and chasing the stone. Get left foot down and rather than continue forward, twist my torso and get my chest to the sky. I'm starting to get this but it's very difficult for me right now. Trying to visualize and apply everything that I would for a power position throw which is causing me to stay on my left a bit longer at the front and that's big for me. I think these are the two things that are going to get me to the next level. Now I just need to implement them. Starting to get excited about stones again.

No comments:

Post a Comment