Monday, July 22, 2013

7/20/13 - Portland Games

Portland Games

16# ostone 49+
portland stone 14+
56# wfd 43+
28# wfd 85+
22# hammer 109+
16# hammer 137'6.75" PR
56# wob 15
caber laughable
challege caber even more laughable


4th overall


Pleased with the games. I had some good marks and some bad marks but overall I'm pleased with my performance. Tough field. Matt, Dan and Andy are the real deal. That's not to take away from the other guys though as Ryan took some soild shots at 18'6 wob and wasn't trailing far behind in anything else either. By the time I was comfortable with the stone it was my 3rd attempt and I'm not going to make excuses, I flat out missed it. Dan went 52 with it which is within my reach, I just need to step up to the plate. Weights were much better than the last couple games. Only 2.5" behind Dan on the hwd and only 2" behind Matt on the lwd. Hammers felt off for some reason. My first wind was very choppy and not fluid, something I'll need to dial in. My first hammer felt fantastic, even finished early but still dropped a near 2ft PR. Tried to really put some gas on it and kept missing the finish bad on my next two attempts that went only 119 and 122ish. Oh well. Matt dropped a big 139 for the win and 144 on his 4th extra (yes, we all know it didn't count) but it was impressive nonetheless. Wob was some silly longer implement that felt weird and had issue with my timing. None of the standers had a huge pull here. Caber was silly. I really show my inexperience in this event. Time to get my nose to the grindstone and fix this or I'm going to be the laughing stock of the games.

Had a fantastic time at my first rodeo in Portland and I'm looking forward to coming back. Cark and Kaelyne put on a great games. Weather was great and it ran smooth all day. To throw the same hwd that the WR was set with was gnarly. Thanks to Steve Conway for sticking it out with our moaning and groaning all day as he displayed impeccable judging skills. Thanks to all the athletes for showing up and bringing their game. Kept me on my toes and pushing forward. Thanks to Tod Stewart of Stewart & Torgersen Injury Law for helping to get me to this level. Without him I wouldn't have gotten to 1/4 of the games that I have as I was climbing the amateurs. Thanks to my awesome wife Kristina for taking care of the boys and holding up the castle walls while I was out hanging out with my oversized friends throwing large objects. Thanks to everyone that comes out and shows support to the games. Looking forward to continue marching forward on the heels of those in front of me. Claw next weekend. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment