Friday, January 4, 2013

1/3/12 - snatch/back squat & stones

Training#1 @ 430a

hang power snatch up to 135x3x3
back squat 425x5x3

clean high pulls
step ups
bb shrugs
hammerstrength preacher curlzzzzz

Just working tech on the snatches, good high bump and 2nd pull, feeling more powerful. Will start pushing these in the next couple weeks. By the time I got to the clean pulls, my upper back was pretty toast so keeping tight was an issue. Bumping way too low and getting a weak pull. Scaled weight back and hit a set with good tech. Squats felt miserable. I'm not really enjoying the way I'm training right now. Just going through the motions and not really looking forward to the gym anymore. This needs to change, I used to really love training and this program isn't very conducive to that.

With that said, I'm going to revert to how I trained in the past: work up to a heavy single (not necessarily a max or all time PR, just a heavy single) then drop down in the 75-80% range and hit a high intensity max-rep set, then shut it down with that lift and move on. I'll go heavy on front squats and back squats while doing some speed worth with bands on deads and presses in one week, then the following week go heavy on deads and presses while doing light, banded speed work with the squats. Going to transition into this next week. Looking forward the gym once again.


Training#2 @ 715a

15.5# stone
*standing x10
*full spin x12

Mixed feelings here. Standing tosses are meh, not a huge huge focus of mine right now. As I transition into more dedicated stone-only sessions, I'll spend more time on standing tosses. The spin wasn't a nightmare but it wasn't great either. No real breakthroughs. Physically I'm drained from a tough week. Mentally, I can see what needs to be done.

3 big things to work on for this to come together (in no particular order):

1) Hold my upper body back longer. I need to really really push my left arm across my right side to hold my upper body.
2) Try to land with my right toes facing 10:00 or 9:00 that way I can keep my foot turning, versus landing in 7:00-8:00 position, waiting for the foot to absorb impact, then begin turning.
3) Push my right knee forward for the finish. That should load my left for a big block.

As always, lots of work to be done. Really looking forward to the next season. I hope to bring a decent game for my pro debut in Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment