Wednesday, August 28, 2013

8/27/13 - stone/hammer/caber

Training#1 @ 1230p

17# stone
*stand x3-4, best 45 (practice PR with this stone)
*MSA x6-8, best 51 (practice PR with this stone)

Took more stands than I wanted but I really wanted that 45, haha. Can't hurt to drill those positions though. Feeling the right side pushing into my torso and keeping my left down until release. Standing tosses are really coming along well. Decided to try some MSA out because I do south african anyways as a drill. Was discussing with Nick and Andy about how there is just less to screw up on vs the full spin and my south african drills typically go the same distance as my fulls. So I gave it a shot. Two really big things I focused on was driving to the trig with my chest and keeping my head up while I'm turning. I ALWAYS drop my head when turning. The moment I kept it up, boom, big throws. Now I've got to learn to get my left down fast fast fast. Ended up going two at 51 and 3 at 50. My prior best with this stone was low 49s so that's a big confidence booster for me. Going to keep working MSA and see if I can get some better distances out of it. Kind of kicking myself in the ass. I had a good MSA last year in February before switching to the full. I feel like I've lost a lot of time. Regardless, I have a lot more knowledge about positions now than I did then so I suppose a step back was needed before moving forward.


20/16/16 hammer x2 rounds, best 112/133 respectively

Took a handful of warmup winds and had to move the trig a couple times as the grass is very "weedy" so I kept blowing out of my holes from the crappy root system. Once getting a solid footing I felt pretty good. The 20 felt heavy but felt like it was moving good. I'm going to really need to shine on hammers and weight this weekend if I want to stay in contention. I can't rely on my stones just yet for points. Last throw with the 16 felt good and went 133 but still wasn't close to top speed. Looking for 115/140 this weekend. Git 'er done.



Training#2 @ 6p

caber (20' x 100#) x8-10, no turns

Regardless of having no turns, my last two were fifers as I was getting really tired. Was mainly focused on getting comfortable with the caber and getting a big pull. My pull is usually so short and I don't get a lot of legs into it. The caber felt heavier as well but prob only 10-15lbs or so. It's fiberglassed but the top and bottom are open and it's been very humid/rainy here lately as we're rounding out the end of monsoon season. Changed the way I pick the caber, not near as high, holding the caber closer down by my hips/belly button area. Makes the caber easier to control and push against as I'm running. Tried to be more upright as well so I didn't have to waste time getting down into a powerful position. My training partner told me to squat down like a front squat. I initially though this was dumb then he turned it like nothing. We're about the same strength levels as well so I gave it a shot and fifer'd it twice with that, like I said I was pretty tired by then. A step in the right direction.


Now it's time to eat, relax, stretch and foam roll. Getting a massage tonight. Going to work on getting some good nights sleep. Really anxious to get into Pleasanton. Can't wait to throw and hang out with the guys. Watch for some big numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment