Monday, October 29, 2012

10/27/12 - stone/wfd/hammer/sheaf/caber

Am weight = 273

Training @ 930a

24# standing shot x 2
22# bstone x 6, best of 38+

Watched some video of Jon O’Neil here since his Braemar is just incredible and noticed how he really pushes his right knee and hip leading his upper body. Something about the video of him doing it clicked better than watching video of other guys, despite some of the other guys maybe going a little farther. I watch MattV and several other big Bstone guys and I just can’t seem to get what they’re doing. Jon’s vid was pretty helpful. Its very apparent how he pushes his right side straight into a big block. Progress here, haven’t gone 38+ in a long time. I think I had a couple over 38 with a best of 38’10”.


16# ostone full spin x 3-4
15.5# ostone full spin x 4-6

I didn’t mark any of these, but I think I heard someone say I went 48+ with the 16. Wasn’t really paying attention. Was focusing on trying to be more rotational and less linear. Definiately achieved this, though to a larger extent than I wanted. I need the linear drive to get a solid block and get over the trig. At the same time, I need to be very rotational to keep my hips in front of the ball. One throw I nailed this perfectly. Almost nailed it on the next but just missed it and shut it down. I found that if I “hop” forward onto my right leg, I end up landing with my right foot facing 6:00. Then my right leg has to absorb the impact and wait for the left to come around before it can start turning again. In contrast, if I drive less with my left leg and focus on landing with my right facing 9:00 and pull my left around, my right never stops moving and I get fantastic separation. Dedicated stones practice tomorrow so I’m going to be spending a lot of time with this. Slow out of the back, push the left knee out and around. From there, lead with my right leg. Typically I would lead with my right leg then, hop, onto it to bring my left around. In this instance, I lead with my right leg and almost “fell” onto it. I landed with my right foot at 9:00 and focused on pushing my right knee to the ground to keep it turning, also keeping my weight on the outside of the ball of my right foot. That seemed to help it turn better as well. My hips got moving incredibly fast and everything else fell apart, but I got the feeling. Now I need to reproduce it a few hundred times. Finally, a breakthrough.




56# wfd x 6-8, best of 41
42# wfd x 4-6, best of 59
28# wfd x 4-6, best of 83

Weights went well. First 3-4 throws were just walkthroughs, feeling the position. Very slow/little sprint with good separation and sink for the finish. Started speeding it up and had a couple good tosses around 40ft, though, for some reason I was finishing early instead of finishing my push to zero. Not sure why but it was frustration. Then I went way too early with a HUGE sprint and blew out my grip off to the right side. I think the ball still went 35ft or so and almost hit a training partner, lol. Slowed it back down for a few more and was hitting easy 38-39ft so I shut it down and threw a few with the 42 for fun. Was finishing early again on these. I need to be more patient at the front when my sprint is so minimal. Took several at 57 and the best was 59’10 right down the pipe so I was pretty happy with that. A couple easy 75-77s with the 28, then a big one at 83 and a few more at 80-81. Need to remember to sink my hips for a huge drive and lift on the finish. I always forget that part with the light.


16# hammer x 6-8, 120ish
12# hammer x 2-3, 130ish

Hammer has been giving me grief lately and today was no exception. Need to focus on pulling my right elbow back as far as possible on the first wind AND pushing my butt/hips back to get my hips swiveling.


20# sheaf x 6-8

Good practice day here. Lots of effortless high throws. Focus on pushing my right hip to the left while separating and pushing the bag down, outside of my right foot. Happy with this for now. Will see what it yields in Tucson next weekend.


Small caber (17.5 x 75#) x 4-6, all easy turns

Easy easy caber. Just focused on keeping my hips low and torso up so I can get a strong drive on the stick. Also focused on dropping the caber into place on my hips BEFORE stopping for my pull. These worked very well. Was turning the caber and it was close to 80 degrees the opposite directly before the top hit the ground. Getting more confident with the caber. I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment