Monday, December 2, 2013

11/25/13 - pulls & stone

Training#1 @ 420p

15mins elliptical to warmup & burn some cals

Deads up to 405x3, 315x3x4
24" box squat 335x5, 425x5, 475x5, 515x5
12" step ups 245x6x3
Netural grip pullups 5x3
RDLs 245x10, 335x8x2

Deads felt good for the most part. I could feel my oblique letting me know it wasn't 100% yet while I was on the 315. Went up to 405 and smoked an easy triple but oblique was getting sore and I didn't want to push too hard yet. Dropped down and hit a few sets of 5 just to get some reps in and work technique. I haev a bad habit of pulling prematurely (before the bar is against my shins) and consequently end up leaving the weight way out front which puts me in a poor position to drive my hips through. Focus today was to really sit back against the bar and pull back. Felt really good. Anxious to start pulling heavy but it'll probably about 4 weeks before I get any real weight on the bar since I'm only pulling every other week. Box squats felt good, plates were jangling at the top and bar was coming about an inch off my shoulders on every rep. Felt explosive. Step ups getting easier as well. Shoulder kind of bugged me on the pullups. If I relaxed and went all the way down to full extension it would really pull on the shoulder so I was cutting my reps a little short. The neutral grip let me use more of my inner back and took less rear delt/shoulder movement out of the motion. Overall a good workout. Anxious to bench tomorrow and see how the shoulder holds up. Goal is 315 but I'm not going to push it too hard if it starts hurting.


Training#2 @ 115p

15.5# stone
*stand w/step over x6
*stand w/reverse x5, best 48
*full spin non reverse x3-4
*full spin w/reverse x4-5, best 52

Not bad but still drifting too far forward at the front, over-loading my left leg or even getting onto my left too early. Watched some video and it looks like as soon as I get to the front I SHOULD be stopping all forward travel and turning that into lift whereas I get to the front and I keep drifting forward and consequently end up chasing the stone, no separation, etc. I need to keep my weight on my right leg and push my HIPS forward but keep my shoulders back. I'm going to try thinking about drawing a line from my right hip bone to my right shoulder and from a horizontal view, I want that line to be about 60ish degrees with my chest high to the sky, almost like I'm trying to limbo. Weird cues, yes, but we'll see if it works. I need to buckle down and get this stone figured out so I can be comfortable with it early next season. Stone again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment