Monday, December 2, 2013

12/1/13 - stone/wfd/hammer

Training @ 7a

15.5# stone
*stand w/o reverse x5-6
*stand w/reverse x3-4, best 47
*full spin x5-6, best 51

Trying to really work on keeping my torso back and leading with my right hip. Trying to get a bit more explosive with my right knee in pushing it in and down to get my hips square then pushing hard off the right and climbing my left. Definitely making progress on the stands, despite distance. It feels much smoother. Spins are still off. I can visualize what I need to do but when it comes down to it I'm moving too fast and it's falling apart. Going to do a bunch of drills without the stone going through the motion of the spin. Need to remember NOT to finish as soon as my left hits the ground at the front but instead to drive that right hip and hold my torso position as long as possible. I'm getting there very slowly.


49# wfd x 8-10, best 50
25# wfd x 4, best 92

Trying to remember to drive the weight forward instead of counter it. Mentally thinking about driving toward 1:00 or 2:00 vs straight into the trig. This is giving me a straighter sprint and a better position to finish. Feels good.


16# hammer x3, went 119, 125, 135 successively
20# hammer (w/4 winds), best 121

Not a bad start for not having thrown hammer since October. The 16 felt really good and I certainly wasn't going 100%. On the 20# hammer I was attempting to get it moving faster so I added in a 4th wind. This is a weird feeling when I've been going with 3 winds for so long. It's almost like I've got two 2nd winds as I can't hit full extension now until the 4th wind. I can't hit full extension on the 3rd and 4th winds as I'm losing speed and it becomes more of an up and down movement for me instead of side to side. By treating the 3rd wind the same as the 2nd wind it stays side to side and I can stay on it. Trouble now is that the ball has so much speed that when combined witht he weight, it wants to come out early. I had a couple that would have been really far but came out too early. Unable to decide if the 4 winds will be beneficial or not just yet but I'll keep at it for the next couple weeks and see.

Overall a good first practice (longer practice) back. Going to add in some wob next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment