Monday, December 23, 2013

12/22/13 - Sunday training

Training @ 830a

18# shot
*stand non reverse x4
*stand w/reverse x8, best 43
*south african drill non reverse x3-5, best 47
*south african drill w/reverse x2-3, best 50

Couple things here:
1) I'm still finishing to early. Watching video in slow motion, my body STOPs as its facing forward and pushes straight ahead. My right shoudler doesn't get into the field before pushing. I'm thinking this may be why I'm jumping off my left. I need to push my torso longer before finishing with my arm. Going to work on that.
2) Working slow to fast on the south african drills. Trying to really get that right down and start pushing immediately. I'm trying to push my right leg past my left leg so that my left leg is a true block and is forcing my hip to stop to transfer the momentum. This, combined with a proper finish up top should get me moving in the right direction. Went 50ft on one of my south africans with the 18# shot which would be a PR but the majority of throws were 45-47. Got to stay on top of it.


49# wfd x10ish, best 47
25# wfd x4, best 92

Felt very weak here. The 49 felt SO heavy and I was having trouble accellerating through the finish. Positions felt great, just nothing behind them. I'll chalk that up to fatigue. The 25 felt really good. Speed was solid but final push was off. Still, 92 isn't awful for me with the 25, best is 95 so I can't complain.


16# hamer x6-8, best 142

Decided to skip the 22 today to avoid a dismal practice because of energy. The lighter, faster stuff is easier for me because it doesn't require as much effort. Even 100% effort with the 16# hammer is much less effort than 100% effort with the 22. Haha. Last 3 throws were all over 140. Need to keep in mind to really reach left and catch the hammer. I was sitting 135-137ish and the moment I let the hammer drift left (not the low point) and caught it sooner was the moment 140, 142 and 141 (respectively) dropped down.
Good overall practice that lasted a shade under 3 hours. Not going to practice next Sundays so that'll help me recover some from throwing. Going to fit all 3 events in during the week then head back to stone 3-4x a week next week. I'm hoping that after a month of throwing shot/stone 3-4x a week it'll bring up my numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment