Tuesday, December 24, 2013

12/24/13 - push press (4x4) & bench (7x7)

Training @ 450a

Push press 280x4x4 (90%)
Strict ohp 225x3x3
Bench 250x7x2 (75%), 250x6, 235x5x2
Cable pushdowns
Seated db overhead extension
Seated cable wide rows (neutral grip)
Hammerstrength preacher curl

Couple notes here. Bench is a weak spot for me and continues to be just that. I used to have a good bench when my shoulders were healthier and I spent my chest workouts doing bench, incline, db bench, db incline, flyes, blah blah blah. Bench isn't that functional for me anymore so I greatly neglect it. With that said I still would like to build up a respectable bench again, however, putting bench after my overhead work just destroyed my projected max and any attempt at a % based workout, despite using a conservative max to base my percentages off of as well as using a training max of 90%. So with that said, I'm going to move to a 5x5 structure on bench and just increase 5lbs/week. This is the first week of the new program and I'm trying to pay attention to my body so I feel this would be the best move. I figure by the time I get to 315x5x5 AFTER all the overhead pressing, I should be back somewhere close to 400 or above. We'll see in about 35 weeks I suppose, haha. Push pressing felt solid, going to treat today as a 7x7 workout and go with 6x6 next week to stay the course on my other main movements. Squats Thursday!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment